Amazon has been offering Freetime since 2012. If you ever ask yourself what is Amazon Freetime, this article will give you concise and accurate answers.
Keep reading to learn more about this Amazon digital service!
What is Amazon Freetime: Everything You Need To Know
Amazon has introduced many digital services over the last few years. These include Amazon Prime Video, Amazon Kindle, and Audible.
The large retailer has offered an entertainment program called Amazon FreeTime (also known as Amazon Kids+). This service was rolled out in 2012.
If you have children, you may want to know what exactly Amazon FreeTime is. If so, continue reading to find out more about it!
How Does Amazon Freetime Work?
Amazon FreeTime is also known as Amazon Kids. This service is a subscription service through Amazon that offers 13,000 movies, TV shows, games, books, and other premium content that is appropriate for children ages between ages 3 and 12.
The service includes Parental Lock to narrow the selection down to entertainment that is suitable for kids. Parents can keep track of their kids’ choice of entertainment and restrict what they can watch.
How is Amazon Freetime Different From Amazon Kids+?
Amazon Freetime is the same as Amazon Kids+. As of 2012 when the service was rolled out, it was branded as Amazon Freetime.
However, the service is now known as Amazon Kids+ after the company renamed the service to Amazon Kids+ in 2020.
Amazon FAQ pages still retain the name FreeTime to make researching the application quicker and easier for parents who know the service by its legacy name.
What do I Get With Amazon Freetime?
When you purchase Amazon Freetime, you are granted access to content in the following categories:
- Educational applications
- TV Shows
You should know all the content in the categories is tailored for kids who are between ages 3 and 12, making all entertainment kid-friendly.
What Are The Types of Content Offered By Amazon FreeTime?
Contents on Amazon Freetime are grouped according to age groups. There are the following groups with tailored content:
- Ages 3 – 5
- Ages 6 – 8
- Ages 9 – 12
Through Amazon Freetime, you can get the following shows:
- Angry Birds
- Dora the Explore
- Odd Squad
- Super Why
- Doc McStuffins
- Pete the Cat
- Daniel Tiger
What Books Can I Find On Amazon Freetime?
Amazon FreeTime has more than a thousand books for kids, including popular and classic series from bestseller authors.
Here are some of the more recent popular books:
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
- Frindle by Andrew Clements
- Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson
- Keeper of the Lost Cities
- Exile: Keeper of the Lost Cities 2
- Everblaze: Keeper of the Lost Cities 3 by Shannon Messenger
- Artemis Fowl by Eion Colfer
- Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell
- Phoebe and her Unicorn by Dana Simpson
- Mary Poppins by P.L Travers
- A Series of Unfortunate Events Book #1 by Lemony Snicket
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
- Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
- Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
- Nate the Great by Marjorie Wynman Sharmat
- Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
- Nancy Clancy by Jane O’Connor
- The Saddle Club: Horse Crazy by Bonnie Bryant
What Features Can I Find On Amazon Freetime?
Amazon Freetime has multi-device support. You can easily access it on any of the following:
- Kindles Fire tablets are specifically for free time content. You get about 20,000 videos, books, and kids’ channels (Disney and Nickelodeon inclusive) on this device. This also comes with parental control like setting screen-time limits and managing what your kids watch. You may also purchase a Fire Kids Edition Tablet which includes one year of FreeTime Unlimited and other features.
- Android, iOS, and Chrome OS. You can also access Amazon FreeTime content from iPhones, Chrome OS, and Androids. Kids can access over 10,000 educational content from these three device types.
- Fire TV, Echo, and Kindle. Through these three, your kids can access unlimited kids’ content on compatible Fire TV Sticks with parental controls. There is an option to filter based on age and to set time limits.
Amazon Kids+ generally supports parental control through the parent dashboard. This parent dashboard offers parents complete control and access to everything the Amazon FreeTime delivers to their kids.
As a result, as a parent, you can monitor and control what your kids watch. I, personally, consider this as one of the major and most important features of Amazon FreeTime Unlimited.
What Devices Work With Amazon Freetime?
Amazon FreeTime is available on Amazon Kindle, Kindle Fire, Android, IOS devices, and Chromebook laptops.
However, not every application on Amazon FreeTime can work on regular PCs and laptops such as Dell.
Additionally, a few FreeTime games such as PUBG, Snapseed, Beauty Plus, etc are built for mobile devices only.
Why Should I Use Amazon Freetime?
After answering the question what is Amazon Freetime, you may not be entirely sold on the service. There are many selling points for Amazon Freetime. Here are some of those reasons:
- The Amazon FreeTime only costs a monthly subscription of $4.99. It is designed so parents of all backgrounds can afford it for their kids. Prime members only pay $2.99 per month.
- The service works offline. As a result, you can download several contents to use on a road trip, vacation, or on a plane. However, you need a stable internet connection for the download.
- If you have more than a kid, you don’t have to worry about subscribing to each of their accounts. With the family plan that registers up to four kids, they can all use the Amazon FreeTime at the same time on different devices. However, this is only applicable to users with the family plan.
- The service has unlimited content. This ensures your kids will not run out of premium content and you start to consider other options.
How Much Is Amazon Freetime?
Amazon Freetime costs $4.99 per month for a kid. Prime members get a discount on this monthly charge and only pay $2.99.
If you subscribe for up to 4 kids, it costs $6.99 monthly for Prime members and $9.99 per month for non-Prime members.
Finally, if you are subscribing for up to 4 kids, there is an annual plan that is cost-effective at $69 per year for Prime members or $99 per year for non-Prime members.
Is There Parental Control In Freetime?
Parental Control is one of the selling points of Amazon Freetime. With FreeTime, you can personalize things like screen time limits and set educational goals. You can also filter content so it’s more appropriate for your kid’s age group.
With this feature, parents can block games and entertainment until their kid has achieved his educational quota for the day.
You will also find a Bedtime feature on Learn First also contains a Bedtime feature. This enables parents to shut down Amazon Kids for the rest of the day.
Is Amazon Freetime Available Worldwide?
As wonderful as the service sounds, the only caveat is it is not available outside the United States and Canada.
There is no international option for Amazon FreeTime in the United Kingdom, India, or any other country which Amazon ships currently.
If you are a parent and you’re taking your kids on a vacation outside the United States, you can download and save the content for offline use.
What Does Free Version of Amazon Freetime Mean?
Although Amazon Freetime works on many devices, they are best used on Kindles that are dedicated to this purpose.
When parents purchase a kid-friendly Kindle or Amazon Kindle Fire Tablet for their kids, they get a free year of Amazon FreeTime.
However, what is Amazon Freetime Kindle? They are kid-friendly kindles that were made specifically to access Kids+ content.
Note that the service is still compatible with regular Kindles, IOS devices, Android phones and tablets. However, you may not get free usage.