There are a lot of things that can go wrong when you’re shopping. You might end up with the wrong size, or the product might be defective. If this happens, you may be able to get a Walmart refund. However, the process can be confusing if you’ve never done it before.
This guide will walk you through the process step by step so that you can get your money back quickly and easily.
How Long Do Walmart Refunds Take?
Before a Walmart refund can take effect, previous actions must have transpired. It is either you have canceled your order or returned the order you received, and both actions warrant a Walmart Refund.
Nonetheless, before we discuss the number of hours or days Walmart refund takes, let us discuss the actions that took place before Walmart refund can occur.
Returning Orders or Purchases At Walmart
Walmart allows the return of almost everything you buy from Walmart stores and supercenters. Your purchase history is displayed when you sign into your Walmart account or the app which shows the latest date eligible for a return or replacement and it must happen before a Walmart refund can occur.
Walmart recommends a minimum of 90 days after purchase for customers to keep their receipts and the manufacturer’s packaging.
However, Walmart states strongly that items purchased from resellers or dealers and not directly from Walmart or the Walmart site and app are not eligible for a return, exchange, or Walmart refund.
Most eligible items sold and shipped by Walmart can be returned or replaced within 90 days of purchase while some have to be returned within 30 days and some have to be returned within 14 days. Ineligible items are not available for return, replacement, or Walmart refund.
Also, the return policy for Marketplace may be slightly different from Walmart’s but items bought at the Marketplace have to be returned latest within 30 days while electronics and luxury items have to be returned within 14 days unless otherwise stated by the seller or vendor.
In addition, hazardous items bought at the marketplace have special rules in place for return. Walmart advises customers not to bring hazmat items (which may include batteries, computer equipment, flammable liquids, household and cosmetic goods, etc) to the store but contact the Marketplace seller directly to discuss the return.
Freight items above 150 lbs and other hazardous items are to follow the same process of contacting the seller directly.
Walmart Items Ineligible for Return, Replacement, or Walmart Refund
Listed below are some of the items ineligible for return at Walmart or a Walmart refund.
- Firearms and Ammunition
- Airsoft and Airguns, Crossbows, BB Guns.
- Pepper Spray
- Gas Powered Recreational Vehicles e.g Dirt Bikes, Scooters, UTVs and ATVs, Ride-Ons, Go-Karts, etc
- Used or Mounted Tires, Snow Tires, Rims, and Wheels.
- Opened and unopened trading cards.
- Prescription Medications and Devices
- Items containing pseudoephedrine, phenylpropanolamine, and ephedrine.
- Sex Toys & Vibrators, Ovulation Tests, Pregnancy Tests, and Home Diagnostic Testing Kits.
- Hygienic Medical Equipment (e.g opened or unsealed breast pumps, bath seats, eye drop guides, sitz baths, bedpans)
- Diabetic Supplies include meters, strips, lancets, lancet devices, and syringes (there are exceptions).
- Used or installed RV sewer lines, toilets, toilet bowls, and urinals.
- Financial Services
- Walmart Express BillPayments
- Branded Gift Cards (Visa, MC, Amex)
- Reloadable Credit/Debit Cards
- Check/Card Cashing Fee
- Premium Tech Support and Security without McAfee Total Protection
- Other Service Items and Products
- Prepaid Cell Phone Cards
- Video Game Download Cards
- Sim Cards
- Gift Cards
- Prepaid Gaming Cards
- Video On Demand
Unless specified, electronic games and software are not returnable after purchase and so do not qualify for a Walmart refund.
Items That Should Be Returned Within 14 and 30 Days in the Marketplace
The list of items to be returned within 14 days at the Marketplace are Luxury items and Electronics
- Luxury Items
- Fine Art
- Loose gems and gemstones
- Jewelry and watches above $300
- Collectibles like stamps and coins
- Precious metals are to be returned within less than 14 days.
- Computer and video game hardware
- Printers (excluding 3D printers)
- Digital cameras
- GPS units
- Digital music players
- Portable video players
- Prepaid and Postpaid cell phones
Other items to be returned or replaced are to be done within 30 days.
The Window Period to Return Some Items on Walmart
Some items on Walmart have to be returned with a receipt before there can be an exchange or Walmart refund. The window period for some is as short as 14 days while some extend to 1 year depending on the item bought.
Also, some items do not qualify for a Walmart refund once they are opened or used, they can only be substituted with the actual or similar item.
- 14 Days Window Period
Most Wireless phones have to be returned within 14 days and with a receipt. If new or unused, they qualify for a refund but when unlocked and opened, they can only be exchanged.
- 30 Days Window Period
Hoverboards, Consumer Electronics, Electric Scooters, Verizon Postpaid Wireless Phones, Walmart Protection Plans, and AppleCare+ should also be returned within 30 days. Also PC components like the RAM, motherboard, graphics card, etc must be returned within 30 days in their original packing.
- 60 Days Window Period
Hearing aids, contact lenses, and prescription glasses must be returned within 60 days with a receipt before they can be returned, replaced, and eventually refunded.
- 90 Days Window Period
- Home and Garden equipment like lawn mowers, pressure washers, air conditioners, chainsaws, generators, compressors, hedge trimmers, etc must be returned within 90 days with a receipt and all flammable materials they may contain must be drained before return.
- Unmounted or new tires can be returned to any Walmart store with Auto Care Center. Stores without Auto Care Center do not accept tire returns.
- Photo products or prints and personalization items like mugs, blankets, calendars, etc must be returned within 90 days but must not be returned by mail.
- Major Appliances like washing machines, refrigerators, and ranges are not accepted in Walmart stores and should be returned in like-new conditions, uninstalled, and with all original packaging.
- Uninstalled and unused toilet bowls, urinals, and toilets are returnable within 90 days with receipt.
- 1 year Window Period
Trees, Perennials, and Shrubs can be returned with a receipt in-store and within 1 year.
Items like Unopened Alcohol and Tobacco products can only be returned to the store they were purchased.
Items Available For Exchange But Nonrefundable
The following items when new, uninstalled, or unopened are fit for Walmart refund but once they are opened or used, they are only available in exchange for the similar or same item. The items have been listed below:
- Unlocked opened wireless phones should be returned within 14 days
- Air beds/air mattresses should be returned within 90 days
- Drones should be returned within 30 days
- Durable medical equipment and should be returned within 90 days (pulse oximeter, crutches, slings, mobility scooters, walkers, etc)
- Caskets and coffins whether new or used are nonrefundable unless the return is due to the manufacturer’s damage or defect. They are to be exchanged within 90 days.
- Some items like Meat, Bakery, Deli, Dairy and Frozen foods may not be returnable but Walmart guarantees an almost 100% refund if the normal return process is followed.
- Most items do not have a return shipping fee.
Reasons Customers Return Their Orders or Purchases
After receiving a particular purchase, customers may be unsatisfied with the quality or quantity or for any other reason of the package and decide to return it in exchange for a similar item or Walmart refund.
- Change of Mind
Customers can have a change of thought after receiving a package. The package may be a waste of money, unnecessary, or useless. In this case, they initiate a return and get a Walmart refund.
- Damaged or Defective product
When the item received is damaged or has a defect, customers may decide to return it to get a replacement or opt for a Walmart refund instead.
- Failure to Cancel an Order
A customer may have decided to cancel an order because of any reason both stated above and unstated but is unable to cancel the order because it is past the processing stage. In this situation, the customer just returns the order when received and gets a Walmart refund or other item.
Steps to Return A Items for Online and In-Store Purchase
All items or purchases bought in Walmart stores can only be returned in-store. However, for an online order, you can use either the Walmart app or the site to initiate a return. Follow the steps below to initiate a return for your online purchase whether you want a replacement or Walmart refund.
- Sign into your account through the Walmart site or app.
- Select Account in the menu or icon tab.
- Click on Purchase History to see your latest and old orders.
- Click on order details when you locate the order you wish to return an item from.
- Select Start a Return from the available options.
- Tick the checkboxes of the item or items you wish to return.
- Click on Continue and state or select the reason you want to return the item or items.
- Pick a choice between getting a replacement of the item(s) or a Walmart refund.
- If you would like to add a comment, there is a section available for that.
- Save your return process by clicking on the Save button.
- If you want to return multiple items of the same order, repeat the steps from step 6.
- Click on continue and choose the method of return you prefer.
- Click on submit after reviewing the return details vividly.
- Proceed to print your return label.
After completing the return process online, you would be sent an email with your return label attached. You have the choice to print the return label from your email or purchase history.
Note: Returning multiple items from multiple orders have to be processed separately. Only items purchased in the same order can have their return processed together.
Modes of Returning an Online Order or Purchase
When initiating a return, there are 4 modes of delivery but the mode available for the return of your purchase or order will be displayed during the return initiation process. The 4 modes of return are listed below:
- Pickup Scheduling
You can schedule the items or purchases to be returned by pick up.
- Walmart Store Return
You can as well return the items or purchases by visiting a Walmart store yourself but you must go with the printed return label or with the printed barcode displayed on the screen or just with the confirmatory email sent to you.
- Return by Mail
Also, you can drop off your purchase with its full packaging and accessories at a USPS or FedEx location by attaching the return label to the items or purchases to be returned.
- FedEx Location Drop Off
This is only limited to FedEx as you return the package by attaching the printed return label to the package and dropping off your return at FedEx.
- If the item or purchase to be returned is oversized and you are unable to take it to your local carrier, contact Walmart customer service using the Contact Us button.
- Walmart reserves the right to reject or limit a return irrespective of the presence of a receipt or not.
- The store manager has the final right on whether to accept or decline a return.
Walmart Refund and Its Peculiarities
After a successful return of items selected within the accepted return window through any mode of return, customers who demand Walmart refunds will get them through the means they paid for their purchase. For example, if you pay for your purchase using your credit or debit card, your Walmart refund will be received through your credit or debit card unless it is not available.
Do note that Walmart will not refund any outbound shipping charges which include freight and regular shipping or shipping surcharges upon the return of your purchase.
Note: Recalled items are always issued a Walmart cash refund regardless of the purchase condition.
Peculiarities of Walmart Refund
All purchases made will be refunded through the original mode of payment. The possible modes of Walmart refund for payments of purchases and the answer to how long Walmart refunds take have been stated and answered below.
- Check or Cash
Payments made using cash or check are refunded through a cash refund and the answer to how long Walmart refunds take for cash or check is immediate. Walmart refunds a check or cash immediately without any delay.
- A Credit Card
A credit card refund is issued to the same credit card used during your Walmart purchase. In situations where the credit card used for purchase is available, customers will get their Walmart refund on a gift card or Walmart shopping card.
Walmart refund for the purchase made using a credit card will emerge as a credit back on the credit card within 10 business days.
- A Debit Card
When you make your purchase with a debit card, your receipt either shows debit-tend or otherwise. When it displays a debit-tend, the Walmart refund is issued back to the debit card used during purchase if it is available and if it is not, there is an alternative for a cash refund.
However, if the receipt does otherwise and does not display debit-tend, it means the transaction was processed as a credit transaction.
The Walmart refund will be issued to the same debit card in this situation provided it is available but if it is not available, the Walmart refund will be in the form of a gift card or Walmart shopping card.
The answer to how long Walmart refunds take for a debit card is within 7 business days. The refund is received as a credit back on the debit card used for the transaction within 7 business days.
- A Gift Card
Once a customer’s return is finalized and the purchase was funded using a gift card, Walmart refunds the gift card within 3 hours.
However, if the item is returned to the store without initiating a return in the app or online, a new gift card funded the worth of the transaction is issued. Still, the Walmart refund may be issued to the original gift card used to execute the transaction in some cases.
Walmart strongly recommended the safe keeping of a gift card used for purchase until you are sure you are not returning any item for a Walmart refund.
- EBT Cards
EBT cards are usually refunded with EBT cards and the Walmart refund is done within 3 hours just like the gift card.
Note: Customers who return items bought using pay with cash (items ordered online or on the app but paid for in-store) can only get a Walmart refund at the Walmart store. The refund process will be aided by the customer service desk in situations like that.
Marketplace Refund Process
Items or purchases made at the Marketplace when returned, are sent by the store associate in charge to the Marketplace Return Center for processing.
It takes about 48 hours after the items or purchases are returned at the store to have their tracking information available. Walmart refund will occur within 48 hours of return of your purchase to the Marketplace Return Center.
In addition, if the item return is done through Walmart customer care or online, the refund process starts when the carrier scans the return package.
Steps to Get a Walmart Refund Without Receipt
Walmart will accept a return from customers for exchange or Walmart refund without a receipt only if the customer presents a valid government-issued photo identification that has not been altered in any way.
A customer’s return will be accepted if his/her Identification information tallies the one stored in Walmart’s secure database that it uses to authorize returns.
The following options are available to a customer who makes a return without a receipt if the verification process accepts the return.
- Merchandise Exchange
Customers who return an item without a receipt have the option to opt for an item exchange once the verification process accepts the return.
- A cash refund
After a successful verification process, customers who return items without a receipt can choose to get a cash refund if the Walmart refund value of the returned item or purchases is less than $10.
- Walmart Shopping Card or Gift Card
If the item(s) or purchases returned have a Walmart refund value of $10 or above, customers will get a Walmart shopping card or a gift card worth the refund.
- A Repair
Customers who return an item without a receipt can also send the item to the manufacturer of the item for a repair if the option is available.
- If Walmart or the seller can verify the delivery or frequent abuse, the Walmart refunds issued are subject to recharge.
- Gift items without a gift receipt can be exchanged or refunded to the Gift Card. Cash is refunded for items below $10.
Steps to Get a Walmart Refund Without Receipt or Order Number
In cases where a customer has no receipt or order number, the store can still assist to search for the purchase if any of these is available.
- A credit or debit card
The store may be of help if the credit or debit card that is used to execute the transaction in-store is provided.
- An email or phone number
The associate in charge may be able to look up the purchase if the email or phone number used for the purchase is known.
Do I Get a Walmart Refund If My Order Is Cancelled and Does Not Ship?
If your order is canceled and does not ship, the refund will be based on Walmart charges and authorization holds. Pending charges or authorization hold helps Walmart verify available funds on your payment method before shipping your order.
Once your financial institution approves the authorization, Walmart immediately sends a release of the authorized funds and it may take up to 7 business days before the authorization hold falls off your account.
Walmart refunds may be immediate or within up to 10 business days depending on the mode of payment for the purchase of the returned item. It is advisable to always keep the packaging and accessories of items or purchases until you are sure of not returning them.
It is also pertinent to note that Walmart has the full right to decline a return with receipt talk-less of a refund and the final decision is based on what the store manager says.